It all started in 1919 when Harry T. Allen, Sr. opened Allen Coal Company in Mt. Holly, NJ to provide reliable energy to the community. After only a few years in Mt. Holly, Harry decided to move his business to Main Street in the village of Vincentown which was a thriving commercial center of South Jersey.
At this present time, our main office is still located on Main Street in Vincentown. In the 1940s, Harry T. Allen, Sr. and his son Harry T., Jr. started to deliver home heating oil along with coal. In 1964, the business was passed along to Harry, Jr. In 1977, Harry’s sons, Ronald L. Allen and Roger P. Allen, purchased the company where Ronald served as the third generation company president while his brother, Roger, was vice president.
With Ronald’s dedication, the business continued to grow. In 1991, Ronald decided to add a full-service propane division, at which time the name went from Allen’s Oil to Allen’s Oil and Propane, Inc. As the propane division grew, it was time to expand. In 1994, the Hammonton, NJ office and storage facility was opened with the ability to store 205,000 gallons of propane. Since that time, Allen’s has opened two more storage facilities: one in Elmer, NJ (2005) which has 108,000 gallons of propane storage and another in Southampton, NJ (2008) which has 120,000 gallons of storage.
In June 2001, Ronald purchased Roger’s share of the company. Keeping with the family tradition, Ronald now runs the company with his wife, Sandra, and their two sons Douglas and Jason. As of today, Allen’s Oil & Propane Inc. has a customer base of over 10,000 customers and continues to grow every day.
Thanks to Harry T. Allen, Sr., who had the insight on what the community needed, Allen’s Oil & Propane, Inc. has prospered and hopes to continue to carry on the family owned and operated tradition into the fourth generation and beyond.